[TowerTalk] Fall Harness-My Choice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fall Harness-My Choice
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:34:07 -0700
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:09:25 -0500
From: "Noid Wilson-NM5I " <noid1037@gmail.com>
Dear Group,

Better to be safe, I have tried several different brands and use the Elk
River Tower harness with a spreader between the waist D rings and have a
lanyard to attach for fall protection.  If you want to really be safe, take
a class on tower climbing.  They are usually around $1000 and take just a
few days but you will climb safe and do safe things.  If you get a chance to
try on the harness, it makes a difference.  I love the seat on the harness
to do work and 'relax' on the tower.

##  How many folks on here run the 3/8"  winch cable  from top
to bottom of the tower,  and use the positive locking device, hooked to your
climbing gear of choice?    IE: if you slip, get stung by a wasp, get dizzy from
the heat, etc, what's  stopping you from falling 100'....aside from the next
set of
guy wires below you ?   I see the Trylon version of this device uses a shock
absorber
at the top of the tower.  Some versions use a 3/8"  cable..and some versions
use a
square tubing rail, running the entire height of the tower.

## Of course, if the entire tower rotates, or if you have tic-rings, it would be
more difficult to implement.   The safety cable would have to start and stop at
each
ring.   Just wrapping the lanyard around the tower
is better than nothing at all, but still won't prevent you from falling XXX
feet.

## IMO... you would be better off spending the $1000.00  on  proper fall arrest
systems.   On the Trylon titan, and super titan towers, and AN wireless towers,
those angle steel braces are like  greased lightning, when wet..extremely
dangerous.

##  I can see in most cases, in the commercial world, that the worker's
compensation  board
would not allow anybody to climb any structure that didn't have a  fall arrest
device  employed.

Later... Jim   VE7RF

http://www.elkriver.com/html/tower_matrix.html

PinnacleR Tower 6 D-ring Harness

Noid Wilson

Semper Fi

813-532-9708 Primary Cell

918-935-7700 D's Cell

noid1037@gmail.com

noid@nm5i.com

The family is in Tulsa, we will be in contact.  Thanks.