Re: [TowerTalk] trying 3 different T-tuner suggester programs: TLW seems

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trying 3 different T-tuner suggester programs: TLW seems to lead an unwary user (me) astray.
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:30:56 -0700

That's why when I use TLW I initially specify large value capacitors so
I can see what's going on first.  I do the same thing with the W9CF
online tuner app.  I don't think there are many cases for an antenna
tuner where you'd want to specify a Q since generally speaking you
simply want it to be low ... you don't want to have to adjust the
setting as move around the band.  Most of the time (not always), an
L-Network is going to give you the best efficiency, and the best
impersonation of an L-Network by a T-Network is when either the input
capacitance or the output capacitance is as high as you can make it.

Generally speaking, there are only three reasons to use a T-Network in
the first place:

1.  L-Networks only match in one direction, and it makes a difference
whether the load is less than or greater than the source as far as which
side of the inductor (assuming a shunt inductor) the capacitor is on.  A
T-network is capable of pretending it is an L-Network in either direction.

2.  The L-Network capacitance and inductance values get almost
impossible to achieve for loads that are close to the source impedance.
Try some samples and you'll see what I mean.  In those situations a
T-network essentially uses the extra capacitor to shift either the
source or the load impedance so that the L-Network portion can
accomplish a match.  An older generally well regarded commercial tuner
billed itself as a more efficient L-Network tuner, but they included
provision for switching in a fixed capacitor (or two, if I remember
correctly) on the other side of the coil in order to match loads near
the source.

3.  An L-network only has two degrees of freedom ... the coil and the
capacitor ... and both have to be continuously variable to achieve a
match.  That means you have to use something like a rotary inductor,
which also requires a turns counter if you want to be able to quickly go
back to predetermined settings.  Both are expensive.  A T-Network allows
you to find a match for an inductance that is merely close to the
desired value ... i.e., a fixed coil with taps ... even if the resultant
efficiency might not be optimum.

73,
Dave   AB7E