[TowerTalk] Sloper on 40m?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sloper on 40m?
From: "Jeffrey Demers" <jdemers@Wakefly.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 17:31:08 -0500
I have a 50' fiberglass mast with some VHF antennas on it.  I'm planning to
take the VHF stuff down and re-purpose the mast for HF.  I'd like to try and
make some improvements on 40m to EU (Right now, I use a 1/4 wave vertical with
several hundred radials) - and a sloper seems viable to get some gain and
directivity.  (So far, so good...or am I wrong already:))

The basics seem straight forward:

-A dipole sloping at 45 degrees from the mast pointed to EU.
-The coax coming into the center feed point at a 90 degree angle

If I'm reading everything right - the mast must become a parasitic reflector
and some wire introduced to it.  How long, what diameter should the wire be?
I'm also curious if anyone else is using a similar arrangement?

Feedback appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Thanks,
Jeff, N1SNB
jbdemers@gmail.com

Jeff Demers