Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Old Base

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Old Base
From: Randy <randy@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:15:02 -0500
"As of" the date that I installed my UST TX489MDPL (yes, that's still 5
sections), it
was 5X5X8. That's a lot more than it used to be. As far as I can tell,
UST specs
vary wildly. I also had a UST TX-472 that I was going to install, but I
sold. The
specs from that varied from as small as 4X4X7 on up to something on the
order
of the 89' tower, depending, apparently, on when you downloaded the
spec's, and
what rules were in effect at that time.

There's 1001 ways the government calculates wind speeds, and
1001 ways antenna mfr's calculate wind loads. And 50 states, and
thousands of
municipalities, and 10's of thousands of engineers. Most of them want
some of
your money. Not UST, apparently.
Not based on any personal experience, but, based on scuttlebutt on the
street,
apparently, the only parties involved that don't want to discuss what
happens to
your U.S. Tower after the purchase, is U.S. Tower. I don't know that,
since I never
felt the need to call them, due to their reputation, but there is NO
shortage of
anecdotal evidence to that effect. Some think it's due to liability
reasons. I sent
photos (I know I've mentioned all of this before) to a 4Z4 op, that
bought a used TX-472
with the cables missing. He could get no help from UST. Obviously, he
faced the
prospect of either hurting or killing himself, or destroying the tower,
if it had
been improperly rigged. I am amazed that no contingency-based lawyer hasn't
had reason to sue UST and get all of their paper and email docs,
including internal
docs, as to why they won't respond to such requests. Again, I don't know
for a
fact that they won't, but, that's the story here, on TT, repeatedly.

I do know, however, that I bought a Winchester rifle built in the early
part of the
20th century, and Winchester got a photocopy of the instruction manual
in the
mail, the day after I requested it on-line, NO CHARGE, no questions
asked. I think
that THEIR lawyers wanted me to have the info...one can get hurt w/o the
mfr's
instructions.

73,
Randy