Re: [TowerTalk] Downside up G7

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Downside up G7
From: Randy <randy@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 23:06:12 -0400
Using proper taps and dies would allow the owl's head to be suspended
from the "top"
of the now-fixed-direction antenna, assuming you got the direction
right. A good epoxy would
work, too.

Alternatively, I've pondered using one or two stiff crossmembers, or
maybe a 1/4" plate a
couple of inches across, by a foot or so long, to mount a vertical box
bar of maybe 2X2",
to which another horizontal crossmember was mounted to, to mount a 2M
antenna, or
even to support a wire antenna upon (I have a Quad, which therefore
extends below the
top of the tower, complicating such things).

For me, and the fellow that pointed such things out to me, the ability
to have the VHF FM
antenna X feet above the all-Holy HF antenna is insignificant, compared
to the increased
height in lightning-rich Florida. "RIght now", my fancy-schmachy 2M
antenna is atop the mast,
above the quad, atop the 89' crankup, putting it somewhere over 100' at
the tip. I use 2M
almost exclusively for simplex DX spots and such, and I don't care about
hitting repeaters
X miles away. Almost everybody I talk to on 2M for the last 25 years is
on that same frequency,
and we can all talk to each other... and I've got a 2M ringo mounted on
the house at about 30',
which let's me work 95+% of "us". I'm thinking something WELL below the
HF antenna is going
to be "just fine", next time I crank it over. I think a simple
ground-plane or a HB J-pole would
work fine for "me". I might even consider something for 220 or 440, but,
whatever else new
comes along, it won't need to be "large" or "on top". If it was just a
simple, small diameter GP,
mounting on a coax arm wouldn't significantly add to the load on it.

I'm not familiar with your antenna, but some of the "large" vert VHF/UHF
antennas (in terms of
wavelength) have to resort to phasing methods to keep the high-gain
lobes from pointing
so high up that they're worthless... don't know now that would affect
you if that's the case.

73,
Randy
KZ4RV