[TowerTalk] RG-214 cable size

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RG-214 cable size
From: Rich WA1TRY <WA1TRY@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:23:54 -0400
Can anyone help to identify this roll of cable I have? It's about 300 feet, and looks like RG-214. On the cable jacket it only says "Times Wire & Cable". No other Mil-spec numbers or other identifying marks. On the wooden palette there is hand written "MI-10401". I believe this roll of coax may have been a run of custom stuff ? possibly made special for a client a long time ago, before Times Wire became Times Fiber.

It is double shielded and silver tinned and the inner conductor is also silver tinned and multiple stranded. I've checked the cable and it seems to have RG-214 specs but exhibits much lower loss. Also the outer diameter of the coax is several thousandths larger than RG-8 or 213 and seems to be larger size like the RG-214 mil-spec stuff.

This stuff is nice BUT it is almost impossible to thread a standard PL-259 onto it. I've had to lubricate the outer part and use a couple stout pliers to get the PL-259 onto the coax.

I just wonder what this stuff is. I wonder if there is a different type of PL-259-like connector made specifically for the larger sized RG-214? Was thinking to change everything on these new cable runs to N-type connectors, but don't know if I will have the same problem with the larger over-all diameter of this coax.

I've attached a picture and as you can see it's all silver coated copper on both shields and the stranded center conductor.

73, Rich A - WA1TRY