[TowerTalk] Spid RAK-1 Rotor Reed Switch?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Spid RAK-1 Rotor Reed Switch?
From: Fred Sanborn <cc-6569@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:20:40 -0500
Thanks to those who responded both here and in private.

Sorry ... I did leave one important thing out which is that the tower took a lightning strike. The XM-240 at the top took the hit and blew out the balun and loading coils. The main part of the energy followed the tower down to the ground rods but also some energy found its way into a connection box at the base of the tower and then onto control lines for the rotor and switching. From there it entered the house 180' away in a buried conduit. Both the RAK-1C and a TIC Ring rotor controller are fried. Other equipment on the shack table and other electrical items in the house were also in the discharge path and have issues. I consider myself lucky I did not have a fire or any other physical damage.

I have contacted Don, VE6JY and Alfa Radio. They have been helpful. For others who may at some later time need the information on the reed switch here is what I was told. It is a very generic item, less than $1.00 EA, not critical. The reed switch measures .75 in long (the body) and the diameter is .085 or so. Any switch that fits that physical dimension should be fine.

    73,  Fred  KG9X