Re: [TowerTalk] Analysis of mast slippage in rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Analysis of mast slippage in rotor
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 00:42:28 -0400
On 10/1/2013 8:39 PM, Mike Reublin NF4L wrote:
John,

I have no explanation for the slippage, you didn't say if the U-bolts were
loose.  The U-bolts are also available from C.A.T.S. rotor service. I would use
a lock washer and/or some Loc-Tite (the removable kind).

You could also bend your own from all-thread. I've bought it in the past from
my local big box store. I think, without any engineering data at all, the
having threads bearing on the mast would give a slightly better grip. Then
there's the slipp-nott http://www.tennadyne.com/slipp_nott.htm

If you have the threading dies (two piece, not thread chasers) U-bolts are relatively easy to make from a piece of rod the proper length if you already have the saddle. There is a bit of a learning curve though.

OTOH the u-bolt to the casing in the ham series is not very secure.

A pair of straight bolts through a 1" wide saddle or a single saddle long enough so that the bolt holes could line up on each end would be the most secure. I don't know of any commercially available that would fit, but there are similar mast clamps made for large tri and mono band beams. The problem with straight bolts is the lack of strength in the upper mount of the Ham series. I'd be more inclined to make new U-bolts and the matching Aluminum grips from antenna mast clamps.

Possibly you could find something close enough that it could be modified, or get a machine shop to make one? If you have the dimensions they are relatively easy to make from a 2"thick X (what ever) block of Aluminum and a milling machine with an end mill. A "one off" should only take 15 min to a half hour for set up, contouring and the 4 bolt holes. Use 1/4" steps. The critical part is the depth of each cut so the edges fit the mast. Either two 1" or the one piece will give a far better grip than the 2 u-bolts with the metal stamped saddles.

Time you get a 2" X 4" X 6" block of Aluminum machined, even though this would be a simple set up it might be kinda pricey. It could probably be done by machining a 1" thick piece and using another 1" solid piece as a backing plate. 1/2 or 1/4" steel backing plates should work, but then there is the rusting aspect. Good paint job?

You might be able to adapt one of the mast mounts for the big tri or mono band beams. I'll have to check the bolt spacing to my Ham IV

73

Roger (K8RI)

Good luck & 73.
Mike NF4L