Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower
From: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:02:32 -0700
Here in Oracle AZ, we have been listed as the most vulnerable communitiy in NA, as far as Wild Fire danger. It's not a matter of "If but When". Our terrain, altitude and foliage is almost identical to that of the recent Yarnnal Hill fire( N AZ) in which 19 firefighters perished. We have a very active Firewise committee in our community and also a very aggressive fire Chief. With his aid, a number of federal grants have been authorized to bring in Hot Shot crews from various origins (including the Dept of Corrections) to thin and in some cases control burn our overly dense underbrush and other "ladder" fuel, on an owner cost sharing basis .

Also within this past year the(my) USAA insurance company has performed an on site inspection of all their policy holders' residences in our community, for potential wildfire vulnerability. This is consistent with the now more cautious insurance companies.

Fortunately mine passed their appraisal with flying colors, as I've twice had Hot Shot crews thin, chip and clean up my 3.5 acres. Also I constructed my residence with a fire danger in mind. I used all cement block and cement tile construction and I also have > 50' cleared, of ignitable foliage from around it.

We are certainly thankful this week end, that our community is not normally subject to the other types natural disasters, suffered by other areas in NA and other parts of the world.

73 es HTG,

Chuck.  W7CS