Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing

To: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 16:59:48 -0700
Plastic thrust bearings are the way to go. Black UHMW is another great (and cheaper) material. Both UHMW or Nylon are UV susceptible but if black or GSM they should last a long time. I recently disassembled white UHMW bearings for a 3" mast that were just showing crazing (but no wear) after 7 years in service at a contest station. This design, which I will replicate 5 times on a new tower has a 5" diameter 6061 1/4" thick disc held by a collar set screwed to the mast on top of 2" thick black UHMW, so this bearing holds the weight (thrust) as well as radial alignment for the top end of 4 side mounted 3" masts and one top of tower bearing above an internal rotator.

Grant KZ1W