Re: [TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B
From: "David Jordan" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:38:30 -0400
Doug,

You are a brave commentator... don't you know it's an old passtime to bash MFJ and even other vendors like ALPHA, Mosley, Hy-Gain, Cushcraft, etc. get bashed by some. I think the bashing occurs from frustrations fed by a lack of experience and understanding of what it takes to operate a company that serves a niche market which will not support large profit margins. In otherwords, yes, MFJ could certainly build higher quality products but those same hams that bash MFJ wouldn't buy the more expensive product and they would whine about the cost! MFJ could have the gear built in CHINA... then they get bashed for doing it! Some operators who don't have much to talk about that is technical or interesting lean towards bashing because it is so easy to do... sort of like CNN's breaking news that is continuously breaking and yet it is the same old garbage....;-)

I've had a 259B for many years and it works well and meets my expectation. If I wanted to spend $15,000 on an Anritsu analyser. I'm sure I'd love it but couldn't justify the expense for the few times I would use it to tweak a dipole or yagi. I'd rather spend the money on a tower and antenna.

73,
dave
wa3gin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>