Re: [TowerTalk] Fulton K1550 / K2550 Swap: Cable Question

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fulton K1550 / K2550 Swap: Cable Question
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 16:03:31 -0700
All winches I am familiar with show a tension rating
of so many pounds with a footnote saying that the rating
applies with a single layer of cable on the drum.  So
it is actually good to be down to the last layer when
the tower is all the way laid over...as long as there
are "enough" turns left.  The KX550 cable grip itself has a
decent amount of tensioning ability, and the friction of
just a few turns is plenty to take care of 2,500 lbs
of tension.  The more tension on the cable, the more
friction from these turns; it is a mechanical "amplifier".
I would say 4 turns is conservatively all you need.

Rick N6RK