Re: [TowerTalk] Freight charges when shipping towers

To: reflector -tower <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Freight charges when shipping towers
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 10:32:19 -0500
I have had pretty good luck with Estes but have found that even their
quality varies regionally.  I have also used FreightQuote.com for decent
prices but not as good as I typically get thru the local Estes sales guy.
I also use local trucking companies if they cover both ends of the route.
Local companies are typically cheaper than the big guys.

Trucking companies rate structure is at least as messed up as the telephone
company (they are also regulated by tariffs).  ALWAYS ask for a discount.
I have received quotes of $1200 and then asked for a "courtesy discount"
that cut the price in half.

AND they will gig you with every possible "tariff" charge.  I once
(unknowingly) paid $40 for a local agent to fill out the bill of lading.

Freight class 250 does seem high but not knowing the weight and
measurements of the shipment couldn't say for sure.  Most of the stuff that
I ship is classed at 85 or less.

The good news is that some of the carriers are getting away from the
"class" system and just using the weight and dims of the load.

Good luck,

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
wrote:

> What seems out of whack is the freight classification (250 or 300) and the
> resulting freight charges in the $1,200 to $1,500 price range. I have
> called numerous freight companies and agents and this is pretty consistent.
> There are also "up-charges" for no loading dock, etc. that are added on as
> well.

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT
kkidd@kkbc.com  --  866-22-RADIO -- 866-227-2346