Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons

To: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 22:15:20 -0400
Don,

I'm not sure of your budget for a replacement, but consider either a Hexacon or American Beauty iron in the 60W-100W range. As you know from your experience with Weller guns, it's not the wattage that matters most -- it's the tip mass. The model below has ample front end mass, but also has a tip fine enough to solder the center pin of a UHF/PL-259.

https://www.americanbeautytools.com/Soldering-Irons/12

I've seen these irons as low as $100 new, but much less on the used auction market.

Paul, W9AC

-----Original Message----- From: Don W7WLL