Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel and Other Hard To Find Fasteners

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel and Other Hard To Find Fasteners
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 12:38:24 -0700
MSCdirect for the 10-24 (303 or 18-8) coupling nut was $5.52 ea vs $1.02 for
Albany (304). Shipping cost was not determined since I had to register and I
didn’t desire to do that, but a 4 bucks a unit higher cost (I needed 4) that
was some $17.20 difference!!!!.

McMaster for the 10-24 (316) coupling nut was $7.72 ea vs $1.02 for Albany
(304). Shipping was $2 more than Albany. Part savings alone for 4 ea would be
$26.40!!!!!

THOSE are significant differences for SS (where type is not important for the
project at hand).

I would guess the costs are higher at the two big houses because of the massive
inventories of other types of items they carry which must be covered as well.

But, they are reliable and known sources, along with Bolt Depot (3 bucks per
unit higher) and other good sources.

Pays to shop albeit I admit one needs to consider all the facts and that the
cheapest price does not always mean the best deal.

Don W7WLL