Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR 4 el overhaul cost?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR 4 el overhaul cost?
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 16:15:15 -0600
Good questions. The elements failed when the tapes were retracted, so it's the radomes (poles) themselves that failed somehow. It looks for all the world like they simply fell out, but we won't know until the antenna is down. We have lost one of the radomes -- it fell off of the top of the building and could not be found. The radomes look like they departed right at the housing that contains the tapes and motors.

The antenna is at the top of a spire on National Weather Center, probably about 175' AGL. We already have a lead on a certified climber, at an excellent rate, that knows their way around this installation. Thus, getting the antenna down is a known cost.

I'll also contact SteppIR and find out what they think.

Kim N5OP