Re: [TowerTalk] Beverages and verticals

To: <k2xx@swva.net>, <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverages and verticals
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 12:39:47 -0400
I used to have a beverage to the South that ran downhill.  I believe that it
had enhanced performance compared to a similar length South beverage a few
years earlier on flat ground 1000’ closer to my house.  The “downhill” beverage
seemed to have less qrn and generally lower noise and was sharper in pattern –
it was also - but that is anecdotal - as grounding, type of ground, height
above ground, straightness, absence of trees brush and other obstacles, quality
of termination, etc. may all have affected the performance in a positive way –
or not.

I would think that the slope of the hill would have to affect performance as
you are changing the predominant receiving angles of the antenna as compared to
the same beverage over flat ground.  But it probably also matters what the
normally wave arrival angles relative to the beverage.  If you are looking for
South America, those signals will usually be more high angle in nature as
compared to direct path Southeast Asia.  So if you have a dropoff toward SA you
will see less of a difference (enhancement) than if your dropoff is toward the
North.   I know that with 4-squares, a sharp dropoff in one direction usually
experiences an enhancement on lower angle signals on receive and transmit in
that favored direction.

If you have the ability to put up 2 identical beverages spaced ~ 150 – 200’
apart and “stack” them, you will significantly sharpen the pattern, reduce
noise and hear better at lower arrival angles.

73

Bob  KQ2M