Re: [TowerTalk] USTower anchor bolts rusting

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] USTower anchor bolts rusting
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:05:56 -0700
LPS 2 and 3 are both good and used a lot by the rigging and logging industry out here in Oregon. However, I was told by a local fishing/crabbing fleet rigger that LPS 3 has a wax resin element that if not fully worked in, say on tower cable, can allow pockets of water to build. The rigger suggested LPS 2 in lieu of LPS 3 when used around salt water because of the salt content in our rain and ocean spray. He also suggested if using LPS 3 for wire rope/cable to run a flame along the cable after LPS 3 application, heating it just enough to ensure flow into all the wire strands.

Another similar product recommended a decade ago by our local major marine supply/rigging and vessel repair facility is called Corrosion Block (http://learchem.com/products/corrosion-block.html). I have been using it for element tubing and even after 15 years I was able to easily pull element pieces apart on a recent trap repair and as well undo bolts etc. Found it had more staying power than some of the anti-seize I'd used. I carry a tube of the Corrosion Block in my tool pouch along with my other tools.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Thomson