Re: [TowerTalk] [RFI] Snap-on Ferrites

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [RFI] Snap-on Ferrites
From: EZ Rhino <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 21:11:56 -0600
I think what he (the author) means is this:

 A snap-on, without multiple turns through around it, isn't effective at HF
frequencies.  We're talking about mix 31 or 43 here.  If you wind multiple
turns around the snap-on (assuming you pick a size large enough to do so for
the cable you're trying to choke) then the choking frequency goes down (to HF
range) and the impedance goes up, which is what you want.  So it's not the
snap-on that is the problem, it is how you are using it.  If there was such a
thing as mix 73 snap-on that was large enough, then that would work as a string
of beads choke (because it is effective at HF).  But it would take a lot of
them, say 50, to get the proper amount of choking impedance.  A single snap-on
just don't have enough umph.

Hopefully I worded this technically correct.

Chris
KF7P