Re: [TowerTalk] DC-4 or DC-5 ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DC-4 or DC-5 ?
From: kc4pe <kc4pe@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 07:54:08 -0400
Don't know..been fighting this battle for 50 years.

If you use a coax that had a a braid then there is no way to really waterproof it..

The jacket breaths..

moisture ligates thru the jacket and through the braid.

Litigates through the dielectric

Now moisture on the center conductor, and corrosion.

Now I have tried them all...glued shrink tubing...submerse the whole joint connector in wax/paraffin...

The best I have found is:

Prepare a plastic box large enough to hold the connector in and out..run 12vdc to the box, and install a 12VDC heater, with thermostat and with moisture sensor and it all comes with a 1.5 inch fan... Seal the coax in and out with epoxy, and use Hard Line....an ll this can be found at a CCTV security shop, this is used in camera housing to do exactly what we want to do with coax and moisture.

Second best:

Coast the connector with a dielectric grease and stop, leave it out in the elements, it will dry as fast as it retains water..when you tape or whatever to cover the connector your are inhibiting it's ability to dry...open yearly and re-grease. and use hard-line. The procedure is plan and simple but works, have two twos up for 25 years with this type connectors assembly...

Bill ...KC4PE