Re: [TowerTalk] Ground wire between tower and ground stakes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground wire between tower and ground stakes
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 09:45:56 -0800
On 11/14/2017 3:26 PM, Chris Hoelzle wrote:
I had been planning on going with Solid AWG 2, but then I saw some pictures
of folks using stranded.

The simple facts are that 1) bigger will carry more current before it melts, 2) bigger is harder to work with, 3) stranded makes bigger easier to work with, 4) stranded does corrode faster when exposed to air or water, 5) insulation prevents that exposure except at connection points. Many years ago I came into a big roll of insulated #4 stranded, and that's what I'm using. All of life is a compromise. Good engineering is making the best compromise for any given application. That's also true of life.

Many things are done the way they are in broadcasting and commercial radio because of 1) tradition and 2) they have the labor/budgets to do it better. 120 radial systems for AM broadcast stations are an example of both. So is #2 solid for cell sites.

73, Jim K9YC