[TowerTalk] Where Do I go?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Where Do I go?
From: "Bill Gaines" <ad8p@wcoil.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 13:47:45 -0500
In the not too distant future I am contemplating a move to a much larger city.
Having lived in small town USA almost all of my ham radio life I need some
information to try and get out ahead of something.

In the small town in which I live there are almost no tower restrictions. There
were no restrictions when I moved here 45 years ago. All I did then was call
the local city employee who was a jack of all trades for them and asked him
about towers. Back then there was no cable TV so everyone had a TV tower. When
I built my garage all he said was to build no closer than 6’ to the property
line. Things were much simpler back in the day. Before I purchase a house in
this larger city I need to know what department of the city or township I will
need to get in contact with to determine if there will be hurdles I will
encounter. Is it usually zoning? Does one usually need a building permit to
install a tower?

I am just in the beginning stages of this search but armed with the proper
information beforehand can save me a lot of grief later on.

Thanks in advance,
Bill AD8P