Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax
From: Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 22:00:23 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Terry,
Flexibility has to do with the mechanical characteristics of the cable...
Outer Jacket: PVC is softer and therefore more flexible than PE. The trade-off
is it's not as UV-resistant.Shield: Woven copper braided shield can be flexed
more than aluminum foil shield. It's good to have both.Dielectric: Foamed PE
flexes easier than solid PE but, compresses easier.Center conductor: Stranded
is greatly preferred over solid. Most coaxes use a 7-strand conductor but, even
better is 19-strands.
RG-213:Non contaminating PVC outer jacket95% woven plain copper shieldSolid
polyethylene dielectric7-strand plain copper conductor
Davis RF BuryFlex (and DX Engineering DXE400MAX):Type III PE outer jacket95%
tinned woven copper over aluminum foil shieldGas-injected (foamed) polyethylene
dielectric19-strand plain copper conductor
RG-213 is very average. The advantage of RG-213 is that it meets Mil spec. IOW,
the RG-213 you buy from one manufacturer will be the same as from another
manufacturer.
I first bought 100' of BuryFlex for a wire antenna. However, when I set about
to erect a tower and realized I'd need the better part of a 500' spool, I found
DX Engineering's DXE400MAX appeared to be the same thing at much lower cost. In
fact, if you buy over $99, (ground) shipping is included.
Rather than splice it to Times Microwave's LMR400 down the tower, I suggest
just continuing w/ BuryFlex/DXE400MAX.
vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC