Re: [TowerTalk] synchro to RS232

To: "jimlux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] synchro to RS232
From: "Charles Gallo" <charlie@thegallos.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 14:20:20 -0500
On Mon, November 19, 2018 2:09 pm, jimlux wrote:
> Just how common are synchro/selsyns in ham applications..
>

> I'd be willing to do a Arduino thing that can read one and generate USB
> serial/RS232 output or a display.
>
> I think I gave away my box of motors to some ambitious soul - Does
> anyone know of a place to get a cheap, representative example of the
> sending end?  Anything less than $50 is fine.
>
> A 400 Hz size 19 or 23 would be just fine.

At the price I see for synchros out there, you might be better off buying
a used standard

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTRO-SYSTEMS-INC-A-202S-5-SYNCHRO-STANDARD/123438349514?hash=item1cbd7fbcca:g:qLEAAOSwy7hbykOy

The good news is even though that unit is untested, there really are only
2 parts in that unit - the mechanical switch, and a set of multi tapped
transformers (Potted - in beeswax).  They either work totally, or not at
all (I worked for Astrosystems for a decade 'back when')