Re: [TowerTalk] Remote switch

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote switch
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 12:32:48 -0600

> The legacy switches like the B&W shorted the unused ports
> to ground as a "lightning protection" feature.  There was
> some switch advertised as "Protax" that had this.
> I believe for a wafer switch like this, it basically costs nothing
> to do it.  With relays, it does cost something.

This is a B&W 550A. Unused ports are not grounded.

> Does this mean if you have one beam aimed at the Caribbean and one on Europe > > and only the EU antenna is selected, you're still receiving stations on the > Caribbean beam but 45dB weaker? Is this an issue?

Yes, this is what it means. If your European antenna has more than ~45dB of directivity, then it could be an issue.

For more fun and debate, I made measurements on one of my RCS-4. Port 4 was the reference port - connected to a 50 ohm load. The isolation between port 3 and port 4 was the worst, about 43 dB at 30 MHz and 49 dB at 14 MHz. Port 1 to port 4 was about 5 dB better. Since I'm using one my RCS-4's to switch between beverages, I also checked at 1.8 MHz. 65 dB between ports 4 and 3. That's probably adequate unless one of the ports is connected to a much higher gain antenna, like the 160 transmit antenna.

73,
Steve, N2IC