Re: [TowerTalk] TX 4SQ Bandwidth - 80 and 160

To: "Paul F. Merrill" <marinesvcs@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TX 4SQ Bandwidth - 80 and 160
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 19:37:49 -0400
The thickness of the radiating elements have a lot to do with the bandwidth
experienced for an swr below x:1.  But swr is not important – what is important
is keeping the “dumped” power from the 4-square below ~5%  (50 watts on 1,000 w
forward.)   If you use a wattmeter you shouldn’t  see any swr but if you put
another wattmeter on the cable to the dummy load from the 4-square, you will
see the dumped power on the meter.

I use #12 pvc coated wire and get a bandwidth of ~ 200 khz.  Others that I know
use wire in conjunction with four Rohn 25 tower sections and they can cover
from 3.5 – 3.8+ mhz.

73

Bob  KQ2M