Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re:  Need a Knot Expert

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re:  Need a Knot Expert
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 20:33:55 -0500
TU all again for even more great information. One quick comment Steve, I realize the loop does not need to be in the middle of the joint. I just drew that image to illustrate what I envisioned as the ideal knot for me before I posted my question. I was wondering if such a knot existed.

The reason I asked was because I do know that the breaking strength of two ropes brought together (and the knot) has a lot to do with how they are joined and what angles tension is coming from & I know my caveman knots, while they probably would have worked, may have been a lot weaker then something out there common to experts but not me.

I have been practicing making several knots suggested by many here using that Dacron rope and I really like the double fisherman's knot. Just below it I will attach a SS swivel bolt snap like this (one of our members showed me a neat trick to fasten this to my rope w/o any knots or breaks:

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-div1025/dive-rite-stainless-steel-small-swivel-bolt-snap?gclid=CjwKCAiA5o3vBRBUEiwA9PVzaviEl0u8TmGzDZrCatbhMenyPhoErT8VQ7h1wV6d-Nk4SoMyGA-KJBoCT8kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And today I finished making the 2x4 by 6' long pressure treated bottom pulley supports. I used some pressure treated wood and SS hardware my wife got for me. Gotta share this with you.....gotta love my wife, she is the best ! The day before I started this project she was out x-mas shopping and came across a bin at some store that had a close-out of Stanley SS threaded eye-bolts. They had some 6" & 8" long versions for just $1.75 ! She grabbed all they had for me LOL. Later I told her that had she not got these for me I would have had to go to Lowe's and pay 3-4X more for the same items.

Anyway, here is a picture on the bottom supports that will get "U" bolted to the bottom of the tower. The project is nearing completion. TU all again.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tb0Ic1Bb_R2E6KkNTHDughPHjze4EfTx

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....