Re: [TowerTalk] Do I need an insulator on the ends of my dipole?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Do I need an insulator on the ends of my dipole?
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 16:20:38 -0700
I use clear 1/8 inch acrylic cut in strips 3/4 inch wide, with 1/8 inch holes,
as end insulators and spreaders on my stealth fan dipole. 40/30/20m, made of 22
AWG stranded Teflon hookup wire. Supports at center and ends are 1-inch acrylic
rod. Supports are close enough to the ends that I use short pieces of wire
instead of rope or string. Each side of the antenna weight maybe 1 lb and
tension in the wire is maintained by small springs. Maybe 2-3 lbs tension. Been
up for over 10 years with zero maintenance. My 80m low dipole is made of 18 AWG
magnet wire, pre-stretched. Same insulators. One end uses 1/8 inch UV-resistant
rope I found at an outdoor store. All of this is in the face of an HOA who
never noticed. The key is to make it small and light so forces very low, and
it's also hard to see.

Gary NA6O