Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for Force 12 6 Element 20 Meter

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for Force 12 6 Element 20 Meter
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:49:54 -0400
I've seen similar issues and no longer depend on the normal bolt and nut shield connection when there is a layer of PVC involved which is compressed by the bolt & nut. Any shrinking of the PVC will cause an intermittent connection. Most commercial baluns are still made this way.

Instead I replace one of the 4 machine screws with a solid #14 or #12 wire that is soldered to the SO239 and sticks into the box 3/4" or 1", which the coax shield can then be soldered to.

-Steve K8LX