[TowerTalk] rotator cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] rotator cable
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 21:01:01 -0400

Since I settled on Spid rotators, which require a pair of heavier motor conductors and a pair of sensor wires, I settled on the following:

From "Wire and Cable Your Way":

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/12-2c-thhn-pvc-tray-cable

Which is 12/2 direct burial "tray cable" at .61/ft (until recently was .52/ft). They cut to length at no additional charge, and the shipping is free if you order $1k or more, otherwise the freight is very reasonable.

My company buys loads of cable from this supplier.

And for the sensor wires:

https://www.shireeninc.com/osc/dc-1041-outdoor-cat5e-ftp-shielded-gel-filled-1000ft-spool-2469

$112 for 1000ft.

This is shielded cable, but you really don't need shielded CAt5 for this purpose. I use the four striped conductors tied together for one lead, and the four solid conductors tied together for the other. I have LONG runs, and it works perfectly.

-Steve K8LX