Re: [TowerTalk] Six meter balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Six meter balun
From: Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 07:09:46 -0500

On 7/2/2022 10:56 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
A minor matter, but RG142 center conductor is SCCS - silver plated copper coated steel.  That makes it very strong but fatigue prone.  Some are concerned about TFE creep from the solid conductor and recommend stranded RG400 as a result.  However, I've not had problems in FT-240 toroid chokes wound 10 years ago with 142 made from Mil 17/60-RG142 spec cable.

Paternack specs their 142 at 2400w average power at 100MHz.  It will get hot, but the TFE handles it.  Best to provide easy dissipation of the heat as K9YC recommends.

Another possible issue is to keep ferrite toroids away from the boom and other conductors as the coupling can cause problems.

_*How far away? *__*
*_

_*73, Jim W7RY*_

Grant KZ1W