[VHFcontesting] COntest announcements in QST

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] COntest announcements in QST
From: johngeig@yahoo.com (John Geiger)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:29 2003
Got my new QST the other day, and see that they have
removed contest rules and placed them on the internet
instead.  Guess I also saw this in the November issue,
but it really stood out in the most recent one.  In
the contest rules place, they have put "contest
announcements".  These contest announcements basically
describe the gist of the contest, and in my opinion,
they look like they are written for an 8 year old.
They have little cutsy "Why you should enter this
contest" and "Quirks" sections.  I hope that things
haven't degraded so far that we have to use this type
of language to explain things to hams.  Just put the
rules back in and get away from the touchy feely
stuff.

They figure we are smart enough to go to the web to
read contest announcements, but not smart enough to
figure out why I should enter a contest.  Have you
ever noticed that every time QST takes something out
(contest scores, rules, section news) it usually gets
replaced with something that looks like it was written
for complete idiots.  Witness the "Doctor is in"
column.  I hope these are not real questions sent in
by readers.  If most of them are, the FCC definitely
need to think about toughening the licensing
requirements.

73 John NE0P