[VHFcontesting] Antennas: to build or to buy?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Antennas: to build or to buy?
From: k8jwt@ntelos.net (Jacob Tennant)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:20 2003
I am trying to rebuild my home station with bigger and better antennas and
was wondering the opinions of the idea of whether to build my own antennas
or to buy them?

My thoughts so far;

Building could possibly save me a few dollars as long as the antenna works
when finished.

Pride in home-made items is not a big thing to me.

A purchased antenna has a warranty that if it doesn't work I have a customer
service number to call for help.

A purchased antenna is going to be lighter than what I can make as well as
better constructed.

A purchased antenna comes from a company that has done the R&D to make it as
optimum as possible vs. home-made trial and error.

I ain't got a lot of tools or workshop to build the antenna in.

What do you think?

J.Tennant  K8JWT