[VHFcontesting] Quagi Construction Help - 222 and Materials

To: qrp-l@lehigh.edu, RVHFG_general@yahoogroups.com,vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Quagi Construction Help - 222 and Materials
From: "Mark S. Adams" <msadams@buffalo.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:51:02 -0400
Hi Gang,

After great sucess with building a 1296 Quagi, it is time to go for
432.  While the article in the 2/78 QST is plenty good enough to build
the 432 unit, some questions persist.

1.  What do you lumber experts think about No. 2 pine vs. the Douglas
fir that is recommended in the article.  My HomeDepot has really nice
pine and no DF.  This would be for portable work, not up permanently on
my mast at home or in the rover. Without going to the engineering
texts, I imagine that DF is much stronger than Pine.

2.  I have lots of plexiglass for spreaders, but also have some old
carbon fiber arrows I'd like to use.  Does anyone know if this is a BAD
idea?

3.  Does anyone have good dimensions for a 222 version of this
antenna?  I have a lot of 5566 aluminum welding rod that I have used
for many WA5VJB Cheapie beams, it is 1/8", and again I'd prefer to use
it in the 222 version.

I am sure the 432 Quagi will be done by the 432 Sprint in 2 weeks.
Everyone will be participating and handing me Q's on my new antenna,
right?? :-)

Thanks in advance,
Mark K2QO
RVHFG Secretary