[VHFcontesting] Kudos and support for KE3HT and rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Kudos and support for KE3HT and rovers
From: "Todd Sprinkmann" <sprinkies@excel.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:17:47 -0500
   I want to thank KE3HT for making his website and logs available.  I
could look at stuff like that all day long.

   I also want to reassure Tim that I see no way he could be categorized
as a captive rover.  I'm not running for the position of judge and jury, but
I was mystified as to why he feels like he could be a captive rover.  And
looking at just his June 2005 was very instructive.  There's Q's with over
2 dozen different calls.  Sure plenty of those Q's are with well-known
mutli-ops and big guns, but so what?  Those types of stations are going
to be well represented in anyone's logs.  No conspiracy there, LOL.

  Tim even said, "My June logs will show that I mainly worked three
stations *plus anyone else that could hear me.*  (Emphasis between
the asterisks is mine).  Hey, I don't know about anyone else here, but
as far as I'm concerned, a rover (or fixed station) that works anyone else
that can be heard is clearly competing in a sportsmanlike manner.

  I also salute Tim for competing even though he states "he cannot win
the rover category."  He realizes what's fun for him and then he goes out
and does it with considerable style and capability, from what I read on
his website.  I don't think anyone here is saying that a rover or fixed
station must absolutely follow a rigid protocol designed to work the
absolute maximum of stations at all times.  If KE3HT wants to try and go
for the gold with DX on the microwaves, good on him.  The only thing
that would be objectionable would be deliberately not working stations
because they weren't part of a hypothetical mothership.

  I am clearly on Tim's side, and I am clearly on the side of all rovers and
fixed stations that get out and contest and increase activity.  Tim's logs
show to me that he is far from a captive rover.  I'm not really sure where
Tim got the idea that he was called out.  I wish he (and the others who feel
threatened) could point out some specific text that they felt labeled or
criticized by.  Tim did not say anything about me specifically, but since I
have stated very clearly my opinions before about captive roving, I wanted
very much to respond to his post and salute his efforts.

  Tim, if you can show me who wants you to quit roving, please do so.  I
wish you roved within range of EN63ao, LOL!  Maybe something crazy
will happen in a contest someday and we'll work each other on one or
more of your bands.  I often have success raising W3SO, at least.  :)

  I just don't see "all this anti rover hatred".  I doubt *anyone* wants to
"kill
off rovers like you".  Again, I appreciate the chance to go through your
excellent website and learn from it.  My only quarrel is with the practices
of captive roving as defined by W5OV -- Bob's excellent post today.  Bob
got right back to the point, as I see it.  It seems like a lot of detours are
being taken and that's where this topic gets stuck in a not-so-good place.

73,
Todd  KC9BQA  EN63ao