[VHFcontesting] spacecraft DX

To: ezimmerm@erols.com, "ND7V" <ND7V@cs.com>,"PNWVHFS group" <noreply@googlegroups.com>,"vhfcontesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] spacecraft DX
From: "frank bechdoldt" <k3uhf@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:48:04 -0800
Gene,

        Last night or this morning (whoes' counting) I worked kq6mu in dm16
(parumph Nevada) from my location in CN86 (clatskanie Oregon). I'm K3uhf.
I remember you wanting unusual contacts to be reported from the PNWVHF
conf. in Seaside, I was across the isle from you. This contact was made off
the space craft returning from orbit carrying space dust.  you would have
to look up the crafts name in the morning paper. It was made at 9:48 Zulu
on 50.125 USB and his signal was 20 over S-9.  From the reflectors this may
of been the only one completed, Though I heard some garbled chatter on
144.2 also.  The opening lasted for about one minute. I didn't see much
success on ping jockey either. Oddly the noise floor went really high about
one minute after re-entry. This was reported by others as well on the dx
reflector. It was up on both 2 and 6 meters. I wonder if it was space noise
from outside the ionosphere or something.  Oddly enough ir might of been
worth staying up late for one qso. Now I'm off to bed im tired and my
writing barely makes sense hi hi.

frank bechdoldt