Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Contest Robot and 903 mhz Q's

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Contest Robot and 903 mhz Q's
From: STeve Andre' <andres@msu.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:26:42 +0000
On Sunday 29 January 2006 17:46, David wrote:
> Thanks Ned,  but it just isn't worth the trouble.  I have been a faithful
> VHF contester having only missed one ARRL contest in over a decade.  I
> almost stopped contesting when the Cabrillo requirements came out since I
> didn't have a computer.  After getting a computer and struggling many hours
> to learn how to submit the scores via the VHF-DX program, I just don't feel
> like having to play musical chairs with ARRL again.  They need to keep it
> simple or they have lost another contester.
>
> David

I hope you won't leave.  Formats of things to change from time to
time.  My first contest was written down in a file and I didn't realize
about Cabrillo so I spent an 'enjoyable' evening writing little awk
scripts to form the data into something the robot would take. It was
kinda funny--I'd submit the log and the robot would crab about
something, and after four cycles of this I got it right.

So I see I'm going to have to change my system for the June contest.
If all thats changed is the band designators, I think that is a fairly
minimal change.  Backwards compatibility is nice but things do
change.  I'll have to do more reading on this but it doesn't sound
like an earth shattering problem as yet.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82