[VHFcontesting] Wanna Be

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Wanna Be
From: "frank bechdoldt" <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:48:13 -0800
Jim wrote:
"Hi John
Congratulations on your efforts and final score.  Its always been enjoyable
to work the contests from the next mountain top, (Fraizer Mt.). It didn't
seem to hinder nether of us from working stations and grids and achieve good
contest results.

I always find it interesting that the "WANT-A-BEs" are always quick to
accuse others of monopolizing freqs., using controlled rovers, captive
rovers, and on and on.  If they ONLY would apply hours/week/mouths of
planing and dedication with good equipment and good operating skills they
too could enjoy great scores.  I still find it quite amusing that those who
makes the most noise about our past contest operations.

Just let this slide off your back like water on the LOUD Ducks back and
continue to operate and enjoy contesting.

Gayle, WA2ODH and I, W2ODH are full-time RVing (rovering) around our great
USA.

73
Jim. W2ODH/ somewhere in the USA."

But Im not a wanna be and I dont think others are wanna bes.

I have a fairly advanced set up allthough theres not much point in the world
above 2.4 ghz out here.
I can put out 16000 watts erp on 2 meters, I have used the back of semi
trucks as refectors to work stations in Northern California via tropo from a
bridge crossing the columbia river at 70 mph.
This is the fun/ challenge of contests.  Thats about 400 miles or so.

Others out here have bigger mobiles and use it solely to help others and
have fun because they turn in check logs. I will never win even if circlers
are another catagory. I doubt if I will buy much more microwave gear.  I
live in the northwest. I have often thought of going to the northeast on a
vacation and trying it out.  I wont untilt the catagories are compareable to
what I do and until I have more vacation.

I'm Not a wanna be here.

Im a dont wannna be

Dont wanna work 2 other perople 98 percent of the time.
Dont wanna have to do this to compare my self to others who call them selves
rovers.
Dont want to ignore people calling me on the calling frequency.
Dont want to be called contriversial in qst.
Dont want my multipliers to match each other in my group therefore makeing a
xerox copy of my own score to feed opon itself until I declared winner when
Im not doing the same thing that my competitors are doing.
Yes it takes alot of gear, and opperating time.
Some even use profesional drivers, thats great!
10 people should not define the contest for the other 100-120 when polls,
concensus show a change is needed.
Lets call a duck a duck and put it in the duck pond. Its not cheating , its
not roving in the spirit of working others either.

Even as a rover who benifits from working other rovers at random, I almost
think rovers shouldnt work other rovers, if thats what it takes for a simple
fix. I as a rover would give that up in comprimise. It is a slippery slope.

I really dont care if I ever win, I just want a fair measuring stick of my
efforts.
I would also like  a rover/ portable  vucc, dont care how, I would work for
it.

I hope another contest is persued based on distance. If someone made a
platform we could down load out last set of qsos in I would submit my log
and they could compare apples and oranges. You have to admit to a new rover
the huge scores seem impossible to work towards. And when I found out after
doing a few roves how they did this I was apaulled because I was working for
something that the main stream elmered me to do and these guys were
manipulating the rules.

Anyway I too have taken my own critizem on things and have tried to improve
or change them even if I was mad when it was initially pointed out. I wanna
let this part of the discussion die if the name calling is over. I think ev
and n5ac are on to something good.

the next poll should be who wants to participate? Even if it piggy backs an
arrl contest. In fact that in itself should send them a message.

Everyone keep doing what your doing, its politics until it changes or is no
longer a contiversy.

frank