Re: [VHFcontesting] HamIM/APRS and Non-ham observers [was: CaptiveRoving

To: VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] HamIM/APRS and Non-ham observers [was: CaptiveRoving...]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 04:55:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>

I interpreted the rules restricting no more than one transmitter active per
band to mean that if the APRS is on VHF, the VHF SSB must be off, or vice-versa.

Wouldn't you agree?
---------------------------

Ah yes!  You're right, of course.  Here's how that is addressed...

TNC's use an anti-collision method called CSMA.  Carrier Sense Multiple Access.
 They use their RXing to assure that there is no signal on the channel prior to
TXing.

Even at 147.585 MHz, there is significant QRM from SSB operation on 144.2 MHz.
As a result is (often, but not always) that the packet HamIM system will not TX
until your SSB station stops TXing.

Even if the TNC doesn't act this way at first, there are often CSMA settings
that can be played with until the TNC operates in this way (though those
setting vary from one TNC manufacturer to another -- and I'd refer you to the
manual).

Lastly, if it no combination of settings works, use a contacts on the 2m SSB
station to activate a relay that makes/breaks the TNC's PTT control.

The advantage of HamIM is significant where home-based stations know to employ
the strategy.  Even Rover-to-Rover communications is enhanced since they often
operate from hilltops (LOS) and get noticed more easily.  I've completed QSO's
with HamIM equipped rovers because of HamIM that I would have missed otherwise.

By the way, the term HamIM was coined because it allows keyboard-to-keyboard
"IM-like" communication using Ham bands.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV