[VHFcontesting] A return to root-cause stuff [was: Some Real RoverData]

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] A return to root-cause stuff [was: Some Real RoverData]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 06:29:52 -0800 (PST)
* The following are generalizations. You'll want to treat them with the
appropriate logic filter*

As a culture, we tend to believe that the only way that others succeed is
because they were somehow (and unfairly) advantaged.  What we forget is that
"if it were easy, everyone would do it".

On the other hand, QRP/Portable Single Operator, Single Operator, Limited Multi
Operator and Unlimited Multi Operator stations all compute their scores in the
same way.  Rovers are unique in the way that they compute their score.  *That*
is the source of the controversy.

If normalized scoring were in effect, Rovers would simply add their scores from
each grid they visited.  Simple.  Done.

Yet, the genie is out of the bottle.  As a general rule, contest sponsors are
unwilling to normalize score calculation.  It is their contest and certainly
within their rights to take that position.

In the mean time, I personally applaud the Rovers who I am able to work in
every contest that I enter -- and I will do my best to "captivate" them by
working them quickly and easily.

Kind regards,
Ev Tupis, W2EV