[VHFcontesting] HamIM/APRS and Non-ham observers [was: CaptiveRoving...]

To: VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] HamIM/APRS and Non-ham observers [was: CaptiveRoving...]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:07:54 -0800 (PST)
Hi Nate,

Different sponsors have different rules.  The way that I read their rules, it
appears that the ETDXA and SVHFS Sprints and CQ VHF allow for Internet,
relaying and digipeating (hence, full APRS).  I am not a representative or
ajudicator for any of these organizations, so my opinion is just that. :)

See for yourself:
Fall Sprint Rules: http://www.svhfs.org/fall_sprint_rules.htm
* See Rule 7 in particular.
------------
Spring Sprint Rules: http://www.etdxa.org/2006_spring_sprint%20rules.htm
* The rules appear to be silent on these topics.
------------
CQ-VHF Rules: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/VHFContest_Rules2006050206.pdf
* The rules appear to be silent on these topics.
------------
The ARRL has rules that can be interpreted to prohibit full-blown APRS and
other similar strategies.  Research and common sense is in order before
assuming that a particular strategy is allowed.
------------

>Not to mention, the rules STILL say if I'm transmitting
>on VHF I gotta shut down the APRS, digis or no digis...
>right?  Completely silly and annoying... but I did it.

Unless you got this ruling from the ARRL, I would treat it as suspect.  I don't
see anything in the ARRL rules to support this.

>And I *did* run non-digi anyway... no one, not even hams
>out here, reported seeing me on APRS at any time during
>or after the contest.

What I have learned is that QRO is in order.  It is common for HamIM (simplex
APRS on 147.585 MHz) stations to run 100+ watt bricks to 5/8 wave car-chassis
grounded verticals.  25-50 watts just doesn't cut it.  Also, moving to 147.585
provides a frequency that is open and QRM free, extending the useful range of
the system as well.

Ev, W2EV