Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 56, Issue 7

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 56, Issue 7
From: "Rick R" <rick1ds@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:00:44 -0400
I thought about this for a while as I have been a VHF rover for 20+ years. I
do have a dedicated rover van for the past 7 years, although I did a set-up
in the XYL's station wagon prior to each contest before I got the van. I
live in an antenna resticted community. before moving to current QTH I lived
in a seriously disadvantaged VHF QTH
Sometimes I bite the bullet and spend up to $500 for a weekend--gas, meals,
2 nites in motels, tolls...It's sort of like a mini-vacation weekend, with
the main feature being RADIO!
Sometimes I fill the tank once, drive to the local 4 corners and operate
from those 4 grid corners.
Sometimes I just go about 1 mile from the home QTH and operate from a
reasonable spot as a fixed station, time spent depends on conditions and
activity.
Sometimes I stay home if I don't have much contest time, or the weather
makes travel impossible (like January) and operate from the very limited
home station in the house with stealth antennas in the attic, but since
performance is poor, only work a few of the locals.
Although I can't twist anyone's arm, there's always the opportunity to take
a buddy and ask to share some costs, or limit the territory covered and
enjoy what your budget allows.  Or perhaps the local club or VHF'ers can
help subsidize some of your travel costs. As we often see feedback from so
many VHF'ers, "Rovers make this <insert name of contest here> so much fun!"
By all means, participate and make some QSOs with your VHF confreres.   73,
Rick, K1DS/R