[VHFcontesting] Great afternoon and fun morning....

To: <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Great afternoon and fun morning....
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:17:13 -0500
Heard two stations ragchewing on 144.200 this morning, both W5 calls. I assume
Texas since the beam was pointed West. Made numerous calls, but could never
raise them. Fun hearing them though...I've changed my morning routine to be up
and at the dials at 5:30AM, hoping to learn a lot more about propagation on 2
Meters and 440.

Yesterday afternoon, my VHF elmer, Jack-WA5UUD called to tell me that the band
was open. Worked several grids in Maryland, NY, and NH during a brief E's
opening on 6 meters. I'm using the various propagation loggers, real time maps,
etc. All great resources, but nothing beats having someone alert you when the
band is actually open to your area. Thanks Jack!

Also think I've got the problem with the 1.2ghz antenna licked. Just need to
get with Jim Long, W4ZRZ tonight to verify that it's working properly now.

Next up is getting WSJT running!

73 and thanks for the encouragement, advice, etc. I'm hooked!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63

Les Rayburn, director