Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions

To: "'Paul Kiesel'" <k7cw@yahoo.com>, "'VHF Contest Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions
From: "Chet, N8RA" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:16:21 -0400
Hi Paul,

I believe you are correct.

>From the General Rules for ARRL Contests on Bands Above 50 MHz:
"Rule 2.1.3.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements
involving other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, etc) is not
permitted."

A ping jockey listing by station saying he is now on freq X using modulation
Y now calling CQ is really a self-spot by that station. That itself is
something not allowed for him by another rule I think, and it is not
permitted for a person entering as a single op to connect to that
assistance. This PJ spot is not really different than a packet spot, isn't
it?

This past weekend, I tried WSJT for the first time during a contest but did
not connect to ping jockey. I was not even motivated to do so. After using
WSJT for a few weeks I had learned the process of knowing when the decoded
messages had correct info, and then just followed the recommended sequence
of replies to know when my qso's were confirmed. What else would ping jockey
have done for me? During non-contest times it is nice to be able to have a
short chat on ping jockey or to get more insight into incomplete contacts.

Maybe someday there will be an SOA category, but I doubt I would enter it
since I think it would contribute far less to the fun factor than it does in
HF contests. One time last year I had missed that rule and connected to
packet and found that seeing a spot from a station in Maryland about a
station in Tennessee didn't help me any in Connecticut.

73
Chet, N8RA