Re: [VHFcontesting] Type N crimpers?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Type N crimpers?
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:19:05 -0800 (PST)
K1WHS wrote:

> I always solder my center pins on both the crimps
> and the clamp type.

Dave, have you tried the one-piece Times Microwave LMR
connectors for the -600 size coax ?  As long as you
use the proper prep tool and get the strip lengths
correct, there is no solder or crimp required on the
center conductor - you only need to chamfer the end a
bit.  Like the Andrew one-piece connectors for bigger
Heliax (7/8 and above), the center conductor is a
interference fit into the pin.  Of course, one needs
to add the screw-in piece to the hollow core versions,
but the idea is the same.

My applications are not as severe or wide-spread as
yours, but I have plenty of them "up the tower" and,
so far, so good.  I have swept them to 500 MHz and
they exhibit good return loss.  I have no idea whether
Times makes one-piece connectors for LMR-400 or
smaller.

Jay W9RM