[VHFcontesting] Contesting Philosophy

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Contesting Philosophy
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:55:49 -0600
Sean and I go back a few years together as contesters.  :-)

I agree - the purpose of both HF and VHF contesting is to make as many QSO's
as possible and to maximize your score.  Strategies and techniques may
differ due to the differences in behavior and performance of HF and VHF
bands and equipment, but the purposes are the same. Much of the discussions
lately have concerned Rovers. That may be one difference between HF and VHF
contesting. All HF contests I know of except maybe for the State QSO Parties
don't involve Rovers. The problems seem to start when some people are making
as many QSO's as possible without working as many different stations as
possible.

But you don't get points for finding people. You get points for working
people in any case, however it happens.

I enjoy both HF and VHF contesting. Some HF contesters get bored with VHF
contesting because they often can't establish a run and make 4 QSO's a
minute or better. I have to admit that's a rush that's hard to beat. But I'm
so used to both that when I do VHF contesting it doesn't bother me too much
if I only work half a dozen people in an hour. I still have fun.

Fun is still my primary goal in any contest. I just couldn't get into the
ARRL DX CW contest this past weekend so I didn't do much in it - it wasn't
fun for some reason this year. There's always next year.

See you in June! Hopefully we have a big 6m opening.

73, Zack W9SZ