Re: [VHFcontesting] Contesting Philosophy

To: "S.K." <kx9x@yahoo.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contesting Philosophy
From: "Kutzko, Sean, KX9X" <kx9x@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:01:09 -0500
Hi folks-

After reading Marshall's opinions on contesting philosophy, I thought I'd chime
in with my own views on this matter.

Before I proceed, let me fire off the disclaimers:

1) These are merely my opinions and I speak for nobody but myself.

2) While an active VHF'er and contester, I have never made a QSO above 432 MHz.

3) I do not make the rules, I enforce and administer what the Programs and
Services Committee tell me to.

I disagree with the fundamental premise that VHF contesting is different from
HF contesting. As I see it, the basic premise of radio contesting is to see
what I, as an operator with a transceiver and antenna, am capable of achieving
on my own merit, using my own skill set. Using that definition, the band on
which a radio contest takes place is irrelevant. Yes, propagation is different
from VHF+ to HF. To me, that is a non-issue. It simply means that an operator
wishing to do well needs to develop another skill set; that is, learning VHF
propagation modes.

I know many HF operators --myself included-- who would disagree with Marshall's
assessment that HF contesting is about finding people as opposed to working
them. Many an HF multiplier has gone unworked for various reasons, even at
super-stations; it is not as simple as described. No matter if it's 160 meters
or 24 GHz, if you don't work the guy, you get zero points.

>From my vantage point, the "Thou Shall Not" rules as Marshall calls them serve
>a purpose: they keep the emphasis on keeping a radio contest a radio contest,
>not an internet contest where others do the work of finding stations for you.
>I think "assistance" is a big deal in the VHF world, too: K2DRH and K1TEO are
>perpetual winners in the Single-Op Low Power and Single-Op High Power
>categories respectively, using bands all the way into the microwaves, yet they
>don't use assistance. Last June, K1TEO beat all Limited Multioperator entrants
>and six of the Top Ten Multioperator entrants; Multioperator categories get to
>use "assistance." This is proof to me that there is little difference in VHF
>versus HF contesting; it still ultimately comes down to the operator's skill
>and what they are capable of doing with their station, with their own brain.
>Some in the HF world have postulated that assistance is actually a handicap;
>Single-Operator entries without assistance regularly beat the Single-Op
>Assisted entrants. Based on the efforts of K2DRH and K1TEO (and others),
>perhaps there is truth to that postulate in the VHF world as well.

Not everybody will agree with my contesting philosophy. Fair enough; there's
more than one way to skin a cat. That's why the ARRL rules allow for different
operating classes. If you want to use spotting assistance to help you discover
band openings or find out where a rover is, you can do that. If you want to see
what just you and your radio are capable of doing, you can do that, too. We
have to walk a tightrope from an administrative standpoint: offer sufficient
ways to compete in any given event that allows for different operating
philosophies, but not TOO many, so a contest stays competitive and doesn't
deteriorate into an Activity Day, with certificates and balloons and cookies
for everybody. As long as there will be radio contesting, there will be some
who want to embrace every ounce of technology possible, and others that want to
be "a boy and his radio."  There is a place for both approaches.

If you think something is broken, contact your VUAC Representative and/or your
ARRL Director and let them know.

See you in June.

73,

Sean Kutzko KX9X
Contest Branch Manager
ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio
225 Main Street
Newington, CT  06111 USA
(860) 594-0232
email: kx9x@arrl.org