[VHFcontesting] Contest contacts above 144

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Contest contacts above 144
From: Rick R <rick1ds@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:51:08 -0400
I think I started VHF contesting almost 40 yrs ago. As I remember, and correct
me if I am wrong, in those days, most folks had 6&2m, and some had the "exotic
bands" of 220/432/1296. The VHF sections of the handbooks had some info on rigs
for those bands, much of it converted surplus. When the contest started, folks
were on 6&2, just making random QSOs. There was an unofficial "activity hour"
(at least in the northeast) that started at 8PM for 220, and then 9PM was 432,
10PM was 1296. 903 was not our band then. Many xtal controlled and tuning the
band was essential. Some folks who had 10GHz or other microwave gear used that
on Sunday afternoon when things might have been slow if 6 wasn't open.

I don't ever remember "running the bands" then, but it has become popularized
with multi-band rovers (work 'em while you get 'em) and multi-op stations,
where all the bands had dedicated ops standing by to make the QSO, and you
didn't need to change the LO to feed a new multiplier and amp, change a coax
cable, etc.

This has been an evolutionary development in VHF contesting that has grown with
the above technical improvements. My suggestion to the west coaster considering
selling the 1296 gear: stimulate your buddies to get on that band and increase
the activity. Develop a VHF club locally, order a group of 1296 kits from a
supplier at a discount and build/teach/operate.  Rick, K1DS