Re: [VHFcontesting] Activity in the ARRL VHF Contests SInce 1991

To: "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Activity in the ARRL VHF Contests SInce 1991
From: Eric Watkins <shelshok@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:31:35 -0700
I've built one of Kent's 2m antennas and a few n6nb Quagis(I've made
some nice DX contacts using the 222 Quagi.) I don't need to look
closer at any site to figure out that I'm not connecting an antenna I
just built to a 706 without testing it first and tweaking/peaking it
second. I guess I care too much about the gear to spend time
returning it for repair, should whatever materials I managed to
source from the store be far enough away from as specified. I think
Joe706 might feel the same way about his single shiny rig. There are
ways around the test gear, people can borrow from elmers/clubs etc,
etc. Are people smart enough to obtain access to test gear, or have
faith in a .PDF to build antennas without testing, sure. Are they
going to leap that hurdle to casually dip a toe into VHF+ contesting?
I sure hope they do!!  Just the same, I don't think we need to erect
any barriers to VHF+ by communicating that homebrew is the only path
to VHF+ contesting.

Homebrew is cool, commercial is cool. Let's leave both options open
when we're doing the VHF+ contest sell to newcomers.

Thanks,

kr0ver
P.S. Thanks for the kudos Duffy, looking forward to working you in June!