Re: [VHFcontesting] FM-Only Frequencies?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM-Only Frequencies?
From: Darryl Holman <djholman@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:00:35 -0800

On 12/12/2012 8:41 AM, Paul Stoetzer wrote:
> The contest rules explicitly state that you cannot use the national
> simplex calling frequencies.

One minor modification to Paul's statement. The rules only prohibit contest QSOs on ONE national calling frequency (and adjacent frequencies): 146.52 MHz. Contacts on other national calling frequencies (52.525, 223.50 and 446.000 MHz) are specifically allowed.

An additional restriction on 2 meters is that contest QSOs MUST be made on _recognized FM simplex frequencies_ other than 146.52.

Here is the relevant section from the ARRL's "General Rules for ARRL Contests on bands above 50 MHz (VHF)":

1.8. Use of the national simplex frequency, 146.52 MHz, or immediately adjacent guard frequencies, is prohibited.

1.8.1. Contest entrants may not transmit on 146.52 for the purpose of making or soliciting QSOs.

1.8.2. The intent of this rule is to protect the national simplex frequency from contest monopolization.

1.8.3. There are no restrictions on the use of 52.525, 223.50 or 446.000 MHz.
Participants are, however, encouraged to not monopolize the calling frequencies throughout the contest period.

1.9.Only recognized FM simplex frequencies may be used, such as 144.90 to 145.00; 146.49, .55 and .58, and 147.42, .45, .48, .51, .54 and .57 MHz on the 2-meter band.

1.9.1.Local-option simplex channels and frequencies adjacent to the above that do not violate the intent of the above rules, or the spirit and intent of the band plans as recommended in the ARRL Repeater Directory, may be used for contest purposes.

 I think it's a dumb rule, but it is a
rule.

73,

Paul, N8HM